The objectives of this project were to establish a regional communication standards and protocol environment, where various agencies in Los Angeles and Southern California area can share regional traffic and traveler information in a coordinated fashion. The aim was to achieve regional optimized traffic flow conditions in a multimodal environment via mutual information exchange. The role of SAI included the following:
- Establish Change Control/Configuration Management and quality control procedures for the bug-free software development process and environment
- Establish a regional GIS communication database that takes into account wire-line and wire-less communication devices of most transportation agencies in the region.
- Custom software for the exchange of real-time traffic control system information, VMS and CCTV information between and among major jurisdictions and agencies.
- Implementation and integration of various software and hardware packages and assist in system testing and acceptance.
- Unit and Integration testing of software modules.