The objective of the project was to evaluate the feasibility of completely automating (using technology developed by University of California, Berkeley) 37.6 miles of SR-60 (Pomona Freeway) from downtown Los Angeles (I-710) to I-15 in Riverside County.
The project main tasks and role of Sarakki Associates Inc., included but not limited to the following:
- Automated Lane high level requirements analysis.
- Develop alternative concepts of automation including safe automated check-in and check-out procedures
- Communication system between roadway to vehicle and vehicle to vehicle systems.
- Estimation of demand for the year 2020.
- Develop preliminary scaled drawings for preferred safe and redundant automated system for the dedicated truck lane.
- Estimate infrastructure costs (at grade and grade separation), automation costs, operation and maintenance costs.
- Identify system limitations and operational efficiencies.
- Perform comparative benefit-cost analysis between automated and conventional lanes.
- Identify advantages and disadvantages and system limitations in terms of capacity.